B and I LOVE black bean burgers, but I have never dared to do it on my own. This week I put my big girl pants on and tried it out. I was surprised at how awesome they turned out and how easy they were to prepare! This meal is great for making ahead when you have time, and popping them out of the freezer and in a pan when you need a quick dinner or lunch. I prepared the burgers last week and we had them for a quick dinner, and again for lunch today!
Black Bean Burgers!
- 16 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup quick oats
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tsp. hot sauce
- 1 Tsp. cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 sliced avocado
- wheat buns, (I used Brownberry, sandwich thins)
- Finely chop cilantro, garlic, red pepper, and green onion and add to food processor with egg, oats, hot sauce, cumin, cayenne. Blend until mixture forms sort of a paste, set aside.
- After black beans are drained and rinse, let dry for a minute to ensure they are not dripping. Transfer beans into mixing bowl and mash them, until about half of the mixture is mashed, leaving half of the beans whole.
- Add veggie and oats mixture to the mashed beans and stir until fully combined.
- Separate mixture into four patties and lay onto wax paper.
- Put patties into freezer- this helps the patties to combine together and solidify for easier use! Patties can be used within two hours and will keep for weeks!
- When ready use 1 Tbsp. of olive oil into frying pan and cook patties until crisp on either side. Garnish with sliced avocado and serve on a wheat bun. Enjoy!
I tweaked this recipe from Skinny Taste!
Tonight, I’m making a Caribbean Pork Loin!
It’s a super easy marinade and a delicious meal. I’ll share soon!